Lazy Man's Butter Chicken
If you've ever looked at a recipe for Butter Chicken, all the herbs and spices to blend turn you off working from scratch right away. But do it the lazy man's way. Buy a Butter Chicken cooking sauce and all the hard work is already done for you!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup diced onion
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Ground ginger powder
- 1 bottle Butter Chicken cooking sauce (about 350 ml)
- ½ cup frozen peas (thawed)
(Preparation: 10 Minutes. Cooking: 45 minutes)
- In a large skillet (with lid) heat the oil or butter.
- Cut chicken thighs into pieces (about 3 or 4 pieces per thigh).
- Add chicken and onions to skillet and saute until onion is soft.
- Sprinkle the onion and chicken with garlic salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and ginger powder as you saute.
- When onion is soft and chicken pieces lighly sealed, pour about half the bottle of cooking sauce over all. (You can keep the rest of the sauce for another dish - it's great for a quick shrimp curry.).
- Stir well, cover, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook about 45 minutes until chicken is very tender.
- In the last 20 minutes, stir in the uncooked, thawed frozen peas.
- Serve over rice, garnished with cashew nuts, radish slices, cucumber slices, banana slices, or parsley - or all of them; or with Naan bread and a green salad.
You can adjust the heat of this to suit your tastes by adding more or less cayenne and chil powder when starting.
Contributed by Ted