Crunchy Shrimp Gratin
Having grown up where at night we could drag for shrimp in the shallows of the river, or scoop-net them into open boats on outgoing tides, I have a definite love of the tasty morsels, and combining them with cheese just makes them more appetizing.
- 250 g peeled, deveined shrimp cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced into circles.
- 2 medium white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper flakes
- Sprinkle of each of thyme, oregano, and basil
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 soup spoons olive oil
- ½ cup Panko crumbs
- ¼ cup heavy cream (or light cream blended with a teaspoon of grated parmesan)
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes)
- Pre-heat over to 425° F
- In a medium bowl combine, shrimp, zuccini, mushrooms, shallot, garlic, paprika, pepper flakes, herbs, salt and black pepper. Add one soup spoon of oil and toss all together until mixed well.
- Spread mixture into a shallow 9x9 baking dish (or onto a small cookie pan)
- In the empty bowl, mix thoroughly the Panko with a dash of salt and a light sprinkle of each of the herbs, and a soup spoon of the olive oil.
- Pour the cream evenly over the shrimp mixture in the baking dish.
- Spread the Panko mixture evenly over all.
- Top with the grated mozzarella, spreading evenly.
- Bake until the Panko and cheese mixture is golden brown.
- Allow to sit 5 mins after removing from oven.
Serve this with a green salad, or just as it is in slices as a finger food. (The crust lifts of in chunks as a cheesey treat!)
Contributed by Ted