New Orleans BBQed Shrimp
I've attached a copy of a old New Orleans family recipe. They used to serve this at parties on their yacht. It's messy but good.
- 3 lbs large shrimp
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt and onion salt
- salt, white pepper, and cracked pepper
- cayenne pepper (moderate)
- 4 or 5 bay leaves
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes)
- Wash unpeeled shrimp and drain well. Spread shrimp out in shallow pan.
- Sprinkle shrimp generously with salt, cracked and white pepper, garlic powder, onion and celery salts.
- Season moderately with cayenne.
- Mix Worcestershire sauce and olive oil, and pour over shrimp.
- Dot with butter and sprinkle with rosemary and bay leaves.
- Place some thin lemon slices over shrimp
- Place pan in broiler and cook approx. 10 minutes on each side. Shrimp are ready when the shell separates from the shrimp.
- Serve in soup bowls with some of the sauce and French bread for dipping.
*Ted's note: I found similar recipes which cook the prawns and sauce in a heavy skillet.
Contributed by Stephen Jurbala