Christmas Cake Cookies
Bruce says: This is my favourite cookie recipe at Christmas time. I hope you will try them and enjoy them as much as I do.
(Yields about 60 cookies)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon each baking powder and salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice or ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter (cooled)
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- ¼ cup brandy, rum, or peach juice.
- 2 cups pecans (toasted - method below) coarsely chopped
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups mixed candied fruit
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: 15-20 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Lightly grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, allspice, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Stir in butter eggs and brandy. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in nuts, raisins, and candied fruit. Mix well.
- Drop by spoonful about 2" apart onto cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on rack
- Store in airtight container for up to one week, or freeze.
- If you use a small cookie scoop increase cooking time to about 18 minutes. (Yields 44 cookies)
Put pecans in a small frying pan and heat them over medium heat until they just start to become aromatic.
Ted added: I halved the pecans and added a cup of chopped walnuts. I also added a tablespoon of cocoa to give mine a chocolate-y color.
Contributed by Bruce/mapucats