My Favorite Cioppino
Jeff in California says:
Here's my favorite [fish stew], from one of San Francisco's finest...
(Makes 8 servings)
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 medium stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bottle (8 oz) clam juice
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon ProgressoÆ red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 lb firm-textured white fish, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 can (6½ oz) chopped clams with juice, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) crabmeat, drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
(Preparation: 20 Minutes. Cooking: 4 hours)
- In 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except fish, shrimp, clams, crabmeat and parsley.
- Cover; cook on High heat setting 3 to 4 hours.
Stir in fish, shrimp, clams and crabmeat.
- Reduce heat setting to Low. Cover; cook 30 to 45 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in parsley.
- Serve with bread (preferably sourdough).
Contributed by Jeff in California (J. Keushcher)