Quick Curried Chicken
Still a lot of meat on that roast/BBQ chicken you cooked last night? Here's a tasty quick, light meal to put it to good use.
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1½ - 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup raw apple in small chunks (optional)
- 1 heaped teaspoon Branston Pickle (or any tangy chutney)
- Pepper and salt and garlic powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup water
(Preparation: 10 Minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes)
- In a heavy pot, heat the cooking oil, and add the onions, separated into rings. Saute until soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and toss till coated with oil.
- Sprinkle all with 1 teaspoon curry, stir till everything is coated.
- Add pepper, salt, and garlic powder as needed.
- Add raisins, apple, and Branston pickle. Stir in.
- Sprinkle the flour over all, and stir till everything is coated.
- Add water, stir till blended, cover and simmer, about 15 minutes. Overcooking will cause the chicken to break down into fibres.
- Serve over rice or toast.
For extra flavor delights garnish the curry with sliced banana, peanuts, sliced radish, or parsley -- or all of them!
Contributed by Ted