Skinny Lentil Soup
Bob Lively wrote:
I'll see your curried red lentil soup and raise you one. Here is my recipe which has a lot of similarities, but the red lentils and brown rice make a complete protein. Whether you make my recipe or yours, you may want to throw in a little brown rice.
(This recipe makes 2 quarts soup and serves 4-6)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons brown rice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Ω tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 14 oz. can nonfat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- Ω tsp dried basil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- Ω tsp sugar
- 2 14 oz. cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- Ω tsp cumin seeds
- Ω cup red lentils
- º tsp black pepper
- 2 cups water
- salt, if any, to taste
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: 45 minutes)
- In Dutch oven, combine onion, celery, garlic, olive oil.
- Steam over low heat with lid on till translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients, bring just to boil, and simmer about 25 minutes until lentils are al dente.
Per one cup serving: 100 calories (15% from fat ~ 1.5 gm), 5 grams protein, ~130mg sodium
The lentils and rice combine to make a complete protein meal
Contributed by Bob Lively