Moussaka, a Greek dish, is basically meat and custard shepherd's pie.
I first tasted Moussaka in London many years ago. I have also eaten it in Greece and many other parts of the world. My favorite version is the one I have included below. Like all my recipes it is written for two persons. Increase the quantities for more people.
White Sauce Ingredients
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced (about ¼" thick).
- Cooking oil
- 1 pound ground beef (or lamb)
- 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- Garlic powder (or crushed clove of garlic)
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 medium potato, sliced
- ¾ cup medium white sauce (see below)
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon plain flour
- ⅔ cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
(Preparation: 30 Minutes. Cooking: 30 minutes)
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt on paper towel and let stand.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in skillet and saute eggplant slices. Set aside to drain.
- In same skillet, combine beef, onion, and parsley. Brown, stirring to keep crumbly.
- Add water, tomato paste, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and garlic to mixture. Stir thoroughly and allow to simmer over low heat until most of liquids have been absorbed.
- Grease a suitable sized casserole dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices on bottom of dish.
- Spread half the meat mixture over the eggplant.
- Spinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Layer potato slices on top of meat. Add another sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Spread rest of meat mixture over potatoes. Add another sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Layer rest of eggplant over meat mixture. Add another sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Prepare white sauce as below.
- To slightly cooled white sauce, add nutmeg and beaten egg. Add any remaining parmesan. Beat thoroughly.
- Pour sauce over top.
- Bake at 350° about 30 mins or until bubbly.
- Cool 15 mins before serving.
- In small saucepan melt butter of margarine over low heat.
- Add flour and stir to make a paste. Add salt and pepper.
- Add milk all at once, stir constantly until sauce begins to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat.
Serve with a Greek salad or a tossed green salad "Greeked" a little with olives, spinach, cherry tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, and feta cheese.
Note: I find that the potatoes come out better if you microwave the slices for about 45 secs before adding to casserole.
Contributed by Ted