Turkish Shrimp Stew (Karides Guvec)
Another terrific and easy recipe is Karides Guvec, which is a Turkish Shrimp Casserole.
You can adapt it by using different seafood or fish.
- 1 or 2 lb raw, peeled shrimp (use 2 lb if you are having company)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- sliced white mushrooms (use as much as you want)
- 3-4 tomatoes, diced (if you will use canned diced tomato, put it in a blender)
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 - 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
(Preparation: 10 Minutes. Cooking: 35 minutes)
- Heat oil in a broad pot. Cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Add peppers. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Cook until almost soft.
- Stir in tomato. If the tomatoes you are using are not very juicy, add some water to barely cover the vegetables and mushrooms.
- Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes until tomato is cooked.
- Stir in shrimps. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Not more!
- Add parsley.
- Divide it into individual oven safe soup bowls or souffle dishes, or put the whole stew in a big one.
- Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes cover each with grated mozzarella and bake until golden brown.
- Serve with white rice.
Contributed by Gary Hochberg