David Payne says:
" a recipe collected during D.A.M. [the 2nd Saturday
Downtown Art Market] held on Buddy Holley Avenue in Lubbock, Texas
last August or September."
*Ted's comment: This is sort of a cross between a bean salad and a salsa.
- 1 lb fresh cooked or canned garbanzo beans
- 1 lb, fresh cooked or canned black-eyed peas
- 10 cobs fresh corn
- 2 avocados
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons salt
(Preparation: 30 Minutes. Cooking: 40 minutes if using dry beans and peas.)
- Cook beans and black-eyed peas and cool. (or if using canned, drain)
- Prepare and cook corn, then cut corn off cobs and set aside.
- Combine oil, sugar, lime juice and salt; mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine corn, beans, peas and diced yellow onion.
- Add the mixed liquid ingredients. Mix well. Chill.
- Just prior to serving, cube the avoados and chop the cilantro and add them. Mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as a salsa for BBQ chicken.
*Ted's comment: You will note there is no fish or fish eggs in this recipe!
Contributed by David Payne