*Ted's Note: David just calls this Barley Soup, but I should point out that it is Chicken Barley Soup.
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Ω cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1æ cups water
- º teaspoon salt
- º teaspoon black pepper
- º teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- Ω cup quick-cooking barley (or regular pearl barley)
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: X minutes)
- In large soup pot, saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water and seasonings. Reduce heat and cook 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and barley, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until barley is tender. (If you use regular pearl barley, extra cooking time will be 30 minutes or more.)
*Ted's note: I suggested substituting regular barley because none of the supermarkets in my town stock the fast cooking variety. Yours may be the same.
Contributed by David Wilson (salmog)