Ham and Egg Pie
I came across this recipe maybe 30 years ago in a pamphlet from the Canadian Egg Marketing Agency, and have been making it ever since. It is relatively easy to make, and is great hot or cold.
(Serves 2 or 3)
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed. (If you are frugal and roll out the pastry well, you might get by with half a package for a 9" pie dish.)
- 1x175gm package sliced cooked ham
- 5 or 6 eggs
- 3 green onions including green tops, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
(Preparation: 20 Minutes. Cooking: 30 minutes)
- Roll out half the puff pastry and line a 9" pie.
- Cut the ham into thin strips, and use half to layer in the bottom of the pie crust.
- Break the eggs over the ham.
- Break the yolks of the eggs with a fork and spread around just a little.
- Sprinkle onions, salt and pepper over eggs.
- Top with remaining ham strips.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to form a top for the pie. Crimp edges and cut off excess pastry.
- Brush top of pie with a little milk.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
This is great for packed lunches, but as a meal in itself, it goes well accompanied by the Sweet & Sour Tomato-Cucumber Salad also in our recipe book.
Contributed by Ted