Lemon - Poppy Seed Muffins
I found this recipe in The Toronto Star a few days ago and finally made them
this morning. Just finished one with my coffee. When I go to Starbucks and
want a treat with my coffee, I usually have the Lemon Poppy seed muffins. These
taste remarkably like them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp each: baking soda, baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- ¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon (from 2 to 4 lemons) plus finely grated zest from those lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
(Preparation: 15 Minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes)
- Line muffin tines with liners or butter non-stick muffin tins
- In medium mixing bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder
and salt. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer on medium (I just used a whisk), cream
butter and sugar (I melted the sugar in the microwave first).
- Beat in eggs one
at a time, scraping down sides of bowl, until pale yellow.
- In measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, yogurt, lemon juice and zest.
- Add half flour mixture, then half buttermilk mixture to butter mixture.
- Stir with wooden spoon until just incorporated. Repeat with remaining flour and
buttermilk mixtures. Don't overmix.
- Scoop 1/3 cup batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree over until toothpick inserted in centre comes out
clean, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then transfer to wire
- For glaze: whisk together lemon juice and icing sugar. With skewer, poke several
holes in top of each warm muffin. Generously drizzle glaze over muffins.
- Let cool completely.
This recipe makes 18 muffins, but I halved it and got 6 big ones!
Contributed by Steve B. (daytimer1947)